English Requirements

While you will need to have a certain level of English for entry requirements to our courses, don’t worry too much if you don’t. We have a wide range of options to help you get your skills up to scratch.

As an international student, you can demonstrate your English language competency by one of the following:

  • IELTS 5.5 (no band less than 5.0)
  • PTE Academic 46 (writing 46)
  • CAE 47
  • GCE 'O' Level C6 or SPM English C6 or HKDSE English Level 3
  • TOEFT (paper) 513 (TWE 4) TOEFL (online) 190
  • TOEFL iBT 68 (22 in writing)
  • TOEIC 700
  • Two or more years of academic study to at least Australian Year 10 or overseas equivalent where English was the language of instruction
  • Pass the Martin College English test (onshore)
  • Pass the Online Password test (offshore)

For the Bachelor Degrees:

  • You should be able to speak and write in English to at least IELTS 6.0 or equivalent (with no band less than 5.5)

If you want to move onto a Martin course without re-taking the IELTS, don’t fret – you can complete an Embassy course. You’ll also need to meet the academic entry requirements.

Please note: all English language entry requirements are subject to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s requirements.

The IELTS test

If you’re looking to study a Bachelor degree, your IELTS should be 6.0.

If you want to study with us and would like to move onto a uni degree – either postgraduate or undergraduate – you’ll need to have IELTS 5.5 Academic with a band above 5.0. This also includes if you want an offer packaged with Charles Sturt University.  For some countries, only Academic IELTS is accepted for visa purposes.

If you’re looking to study a Certificate and/or Diploma level course, you’ll need IELTS General 5.5 with a band above 5.0. If, at a later stage, you would like to progress to uni studies, you might need to re-take IELTS, so it is recommended that students take Academic IELTS if unsure if they plan to progress to university.

Even if you don’t meet the above requirements, you could still be eligible for a visa to Australia if you package your program with  an appropriate preparatory English study, such as that delivered on each Study Group campus by the Embassy Language Centre.