At Martin College, we know that life gets busy, things don't always go to plan, and commitments require flexibility – that's why we work around your schedule.
Enjoy total freedom and structure your studies around your life. We're serious about flexible learning, which is why almost every course we offer is available to you online.
Study Smart, our online learning system, is your 24-hour-a-day connection to Martin. It's packed with features, providing you with access to course materials and connecting you with trainers as well as other students.
What is Online Learning?
Online Learning is a flexible study option that allows you to study at a time and place (as long as there is internet connection) that suits you.
Is Online Learning the right choice for you?
- Need to work around your schedules – life, work, leisure?
- Don’t have the time or means to travel to a campus?
- Want to start your course at any time?
- Are you an independent learner?
- Does a traditional classroom structure not suit your needs?
- Do you want full staff and student support while you work at your own pace?
If you answered yes to any or all of these questions, then online learning at Martin could be the right fit for you! To find out more just contact us.
What will you need?
When you chose to study online with Martin, all of the course material and subject assessments are available and are submitted online. So if you've got access to a computer with an internet connection then you're good to go!
To run our Study Smart system, make sure your computer has:
- Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
- Internet Explorer 7+, Safari, Firefox, Chrome browser
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Adobe Flash Player 10.3+. Visit Adobe website to get the latest version
- Ideally you should have access to Broadband - 64 Kbit/sec or faster. Click here to test your download speed >
You will also need to ensure that you have:
- Disabled your popup blocking software (some Study Smart courses require popups)
- Cookies have been enabled in your browser
Will I still get the same support as on-campus students?
Of course you will! This is one of the biggest misconceptions surrounding online learning, with the online students at Martin receiving exactly the same student, study and career support as their on-campus counterparts.
Regardless of what study option you choose, all of the student, academic and career development services that are available to our on-campus students are available to you. This means that our online learning courses are covered by the SAME support services that our on-campus students have access to - how good is that!
How do I get started?
Before you start your first online class, our Online Learning Support team will give you a call to help you get started. After ensuring that you’ve received all of your online course materials, they’ll then give you access to the following support systems:
- Your first subjects on Study Smart
- Your student webmail
- Student Forums
- Live Chat
- Various other communication technologies
How can I access my facilitators?
Your facilitator is there to support you throughout your whole online learning experience. Before you start class, they'll contact you to discuss your study plan, schedule and how you can best manage your time. They'll also provide you with the ongoing support and encouragement that you need in order for you to be successful in your studies. There are facilitator-to-student and student-to-student communication tools also available online, including video, instant messaging, email and telephone services.